Following review of Fire Chief candidates on Thursday, October 5, 2023, the Police and Fire Commission (PFC) appointed current Interim Fire Chief, Alan Rufer, as the next City of Monroe Fire Chief and Director of Emergency Management.
The City of Monroe Fire Department had successfully been operating under Interim Chief Rufer’s management since August 2021, with a brief lapse in January 2022 when a new Chief was appointed. In April 2022, Rufer was reappointed as Interim Fire Chief when the acting Chief resigned.
During the last two years, Chief Rufer and his team have consistently provided top-notch service to the City and surrounding communities. They prioritized ensuring the Department would survive nationwide challenges facing volunteer fire companies, including but not limited to retirement, recruitment, and funding deficiencies. Through Chief Rufer’s leadership, the Department has:
- • secured numerous grants like the EMS Flex Grant
- • implemented a forward-looking approach to member recruitment, retainment, and recognition programs
- • developed vital relationships internally and externally
- • maintained and managed operational/capital budgeting, payroll, and equipment procurement
- • continued staff training, development, and advancement.
Chief Rufer joined the Fire Department in 1993 and worked through the ranks to be promoted Deputy Fire Chief in 2018. The PFC and City of Monroe are eager to continue providing top of the line fire and emergency services and ask you to join us in congratulating Chief Rufer in his permanent(newest) role.